Miniature Wargames

Miniature Wargames

Thursday, November 7, 2013

I am looking for a concensus of the Best Napoleonics rules set.

I have several Napoleonic's rules sets and am deciding which would be the best for me to "commit" and why.  Therefor here is the list I have to chose from, please keep your selections to those listed below, UNLESS you have an exceptional reason for a different set.

1. General D' Brigade Deluxe Edition.
2. Republic To Empire.
3. Lasalle.

Could you please give your opinion for which of the above and what makes them the "best" in your opinion.  I have both 15mm and 28mm armies from several nations painted over the years to chose from to play them with.

Thank you very much in advance for your opinions and time.


Cheers.

4 comments:

  1. I've not played either of the rules mentioned , so I can't comment. We use our own house rules for Napoleonic's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that committing to either 1 or 2 would preclude Lasalle....it has such a flexible basing scheme.

    I was playing in a online campaign and was trying to figure out if I could use Lasalle to play out a table top game and then port the results back to the campaign. I ended up deciding that it probably wouldn't work very well. If that is a concern to you then Lasalle might not be what you want to 'commit' to (although see my first point).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have played and really enjoyed GdB but have also heard very good things about Lasalle. RtE likewise seems to be a good system - the author is a very experienced gamer and Hinton has written in a very clear and concise style but I'm not a fan of markers and such devices. My choice is not on your list and would be Black Powder. Its flexibility and simple and relatively straight-forward gameplay mechanism is a joy to play - all disputes arising dealt with by dice and a gentleman's agreement! Worth considering if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lasalle for 15mm, Black Powder for 28 (or GdB if you don't do the Powder!)

    ReplyDelete