Miniature Wargames

Miniature Wargames

Monday, October 31, 2011

Waterloo Casualty

I found this Picture of this original French Carabinier on the web and thought I would share it with you.  He was apparently hit by a cannon ball during the French Heavy Cavalry Charges during Waterloo.  This is amazing, it actually punch through the front and back.  When I saw this I just had to share it with you guys... If you notice there is a little plate near the neck area with "Waterloo 18 June 1815".  I just have to say that had to hurt, or did he feel like a bug just before it hits your wind shield?



Cheers...

8 comments:

  1. I wonder who had the nice job of removing the cuirass and cleaning it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having suffered a mere flesh wound Pierre la Rock kept on charging for more glory!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!! Probably didn't know much about it poor chap!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder was there 9 lb'r at Waterloo for the Brits? If not then it would have to be a 6lb'r. I bet they could still get DNA off this thing... and to me it would appear obvious that the shot came from the Brits due to the metal bending in on the front of the chest plate, OR after a charge they were heading back towards the French lines to form up for a 2nd charge and got hit by a 6 or 12lb French gun. It is know that the French Heavy Cav made several charges that day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen this before in a book (can't remember which one) as an illustration of why armoured horsemen were an anachronism.

    Apparently the British used the many cuirasses left on the field that day to cook horse-steaks from the many dead horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've already seen this plate somewhere, but I don't remember where exactly. Anyway, always impressive to see the effects of cannon balls

    ReplyDelete
  7. theres one of these at Les Invalides (Paris) - worth visiting for all the Napoleonic uniforms and flags and Napoleon's tomb

    ReplyDelete