Miniature Wargames

Miniature Wargames

Friday, June 11, 2010

Short book review: Ospreys Armies of the Napoleonic Wars


Ospreys Armies of the Napoleonic Wars: I ordered this book some time ago(like 4 months), but did not get it until the other day.  This book would appear to be as rare as unubtanioum! I have to say that this book is incredible, it is a whooping 432 pages and about 180 or so of the pages are color plates from all major and some minor combatants of the Napoleonic wars!  I have been reading the French portion first and specifically about the French artillery of the period today and in reading these 6 pages or so I have learned more about French artillery then I had ever known before!  I found out for example the predominant artillery pieces used by the French for this period were the 6pdr horse and the 4 and 8pdr foot along with 6inch howitzers. These were Gribeauval AN XI system guns, that right there dispels some of my beliefs on French artillery.  Unfortunately the one army this text does not cover are the Jena Prussians. Anyway this is a great if not hard to find book from Osprey and I highly recommend it! It cost me $40.00 USD fyi...

Cheers...

2 comments:

  1. I Had noticed and have been waiting to see them on your site as you seem very fast at getting them painted. I was going to be painting today but once again put my back out it's so anoying and very saw, so no painting today. I post the rest of the answer to the question on my blog so others can see it.
    Cheers
    Galpy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Galpy,
    I am sorry to hear about your back, I hope it gets better soon, you know about my back/*** other issues, so you know I can sympathize. Enough o that, anyway what are you going to be painting next after the Spaniard commission is done? Your stuff or another commission?
    Cheers...

    ReplyDelete